Aboriginal Outreach Team
Goals / Purpose of Program
The Outreach Team provides street outreach services and support to Aboriginal youth between the ages of 12 - 18 who are, or are at risk of becoming, street entrenched. We work closely with the other Vancouver Youth Hubs and our vast network of service providers to ensure that Aboriginal youth who may be street involved are being supported, and are accessing the programs and services they need.
The goals of this program are to:
- Provide non-judgmental and culturally appropriate support to youth
- Provide at-risk Aboriginal youth with healthy alternatives to street-involvement
- Encourage youth access to supportive programs and services in the community
- Foster increased partnerships among service providers and community organizations to positively respond to the needs of Aboriginal youth
UNYA’s Outreach Workers assist youth in accessing services and resources that can help them to find housing or employment, return to their families, enroll in school or training, positively address alcohol and drug issues, and many other issues and concerns.
It is our goal to connect with youth before they get involved in street activity or become street entrenched. If youth have already become street involved by the time we meet them, we take a harm reduction approach and strive to provide options that support them in seeking healthy alternatives.
- Information and referrals for youth and their families or caregivers
- Direct connection and access to the three Youth Hubs throughout Vancouver
- One-to-one support and advocacy
- Crisis intervention as needed
How Youth Can Become Involved
Youth aged 13-18 years old and/or their families who are willing to work towards positive personal change to enhance youth’s opportunities can self-refer to the program. Community members can also refer at-risk youth to the Outreach Team.
Due to the type of programming and concerns for youth safety, there are no volunteer opportunities for this program at this time.
We would be very grateful to accept donations of the following items that can be given to youth on the street:
- Bus Tickets
- New Mitts, Toques, Scarves, etc.
- Granola Bars
- New Sleeping Bags
- Bottled water/juice
- New Socks
- Lip Balm
- Food vouchers/Gift Cards
Depending on the type, size and value of the donation, UNYA may be able to provide a tax receipt. Please call the Program Manager at 604-254-7732 to discuss your possible donation.
BC Ministry of Children & Family Development
Aboriginal Outreach Team Brochure (pdf)
How to contact us:
1618 East Hastings Street,Vancouver, BC, V5L 1S6
Phone: 604-868-0368 or 604-868-0613