Aboriginal Outreach Team
The Outreach Team provides street outreach services and support to youth ages 12-18 years old who are, or are at risk of becoming, street entrenched. Our goals are to:
- Provide non-judgmental and culturally appropriate support to youth
- Provide at-risk youth with healthy alternatives to street-involvement
- Encourage and help youth access supportive programs and services in the community
UNYA’s Outreach Workers assist youth in accessing services and resources that can help them to find housing or employment, return to their families or caregivers, enroll in school or training, positively address alcohol and drug issues, and many other issues and concerns.
It is our goal to connect with youth before they get involved in street activity or become street entrenched. If youth have already become street involved by the time we meet them, we take a harm reduction approach and strive to provide options that support them in seeking healthy alternatives.
- Provide information and referrals for youth and their families or caregivers
- Direct connection and access to the four Youth Hubs throughout Vancouver
- One-to-one support and advocacy
- Crisis intervention as needed
How to get involved
Youth ages 13-18 years old and/or their families or caregivers who are willing to work towards positive personal change to enhance youth’s opportunities can self-refer to the program. Community members can also refer youth to the Outreach Team.
We appreciate donations of the following items to be given to youth on the street:
- Bus tickets
- New gloves, mittens, toques, scarves, socks, etc.
- Granola bars, bottled water, single serve juice packs
- New sleeping bags
- Lip balm
- Food vouchers/gift cards
Depending on the type, size and value of the donation, UNYA may be able to provide a tax receipt. Please call the Program Manager at 604-254-7732 to discuss your possible donation.
BC Ministry of Children & Family Development
Aboriginal Outreach Team Brochure (pdf)
Contact us today
1618 East Hastings Street,Vancouver, BC, V5L 1S6
Phone: 604-868-0368 or 604-868-0613