Aboriginal Youth Worker at UNYA
The Aboriginal Youth Worker works with Indigenous youth who are living in Vancouver's Eastside, with a primary focus on youth ages 11-20 years old. The AYW's goal is to provide non-judgmental support and offer youth healthy alternatives to street involvement. Most of the Youth Worker’s time is spent working with local schools and community centres to offer programs that are specifically for Indigenous youth. The AYW also works with community workers, social workers, and families to prevent youth from gravitating to the streets and/or dropping out of school.
In particular, the AYW seeks to engage youth who are not accessing - or may face barriers to accessing - programs and services, and encourage their participation in a wide range of programming available in the community.
What Youth Are Saying
"I can speak freely about what is wrong and be heard and be understood.”
"It means a lot to me. She was there when I really needed her. She hooked me up with a Family Worker… I have a Family Worker out where I live know [sic].”
"I can cook as lead cook and I can be a knowledgeable Aboriginal youth teacher."
"I have gained confidence. I’m not so shy."
- Positive recreational, artistic, and cultural activities
- Young Women’s Drum Group
- Support, information and referrals for Indigenous youth and their families
- Crisis intervention with limited one-on-one support
- Outreach to community events, schools, and community centres
- New programming and special outings happen often. Please check UNYA's main calendar of events, or call the Aboriginal Youth Worker for more information.
UNYA Canoe on Pulling Together Journey 2006
How to get involved
- Youth and/or their families who are willing to work towards positive personal change to enhance youth's opportunities are encouraged to contact us
- Youth can self-refer or be referred by a third party as long as they are aware and receptive to the referral, as this is a voluntary program
UNYA's Young Women's Drum Group sharing their songs at a Native Youth Centre celebration
City of Vancouver, Direct Social Service Grant
Aboriginal Youth Worker Program brochure (pdf)
Contact us today
1618 East Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC, V5L 1S6
Phone: (604) 254–7732
Fax: (604) 254-7811